Because of HIM
· Question: Do we really understand the Atonement of Jesus Christ?
1. We teach this in every lesson ( all 5 Lessons)
2. We know it is central to God’s Plan and is the most important event in the history of mankind. But ask ourselves do WE understand it?
Takeaway- To explain what the Atonement of Jesus Christ truly
1. To atone is to suffer the penalty for an act of sin, thereby removing the effects of the sin from the repentant sinners and allowing them to be reconciled to God. (PMG 58)
2. To atone is to reconcile or bring to harmony. To be compensated for and made right – Through Jesus Christ we can be reconciled to our Heavenly Father “having been made perfect through Jesus Christ..” (D&C 76:69)
We understand to atone means to pay for another person’s sins, but.. Why do we need the Atonement?
· Why is the Atonement necessary for our Salvation?
1. Moses 6:57 All men must repent. No unclean thing can enter into the Kingdom of God.
We are sinners. We are unclean. Therefor we cannot enter into the Kingdom of God. No matter how righteous we are, we are stuck. We will never be able to enter into the Kingdom of God, we are in fallen state.
2. Mercy cannot rob justice. The Eternal Demands of Justice require our sins to be paid for or atoned for, every sin must be atoned or paid for. We need someone to redeem us, and pay our ransom. We are unable to pay our own debt of sins. And are therefore stuck, with an impassable barrier in front us. We are hopeless by ourselves. Because of the fall we cannot overcome physical and spiritual death by ourselves. We need a mediator, redeemer, and savior to pay the price of our sins to release the bands which are binding us. Without a mediator, all hopes of returning to our Father in Heaven are lost because “.. In Adam all die, even so, in Christ shall all be made alive.” (I Cor 15: 19-22)
· So we understand that we need a mediator, redeemer, and savior. But why Jesus Christ?
1. Jesus was called to be our Redeemer before the foundations of the world. ( Ether 3:14)
2. He was the only sinless, perfect person to live on this earth.
3. “He suffered temptations, but gave no head to them.. “ ( D&C 20:22)
4. He is the literal Son of God. He was able to die because of his mortal Mother. But he had the power to overcome death because of his immortal Father.
Jesus Christ performed a three-fold Atonement.
1. First, In the Garden of Gethsemane. D&C 19:18-19 “Which suffering cause me to tremble because of pain and bleed from every pore. “
We usually just think about the sins that Jesus Christ atoned for in Gethsemane, but he suffered for so much more. He suffered for our pains, sicknesses, temptations, afflictions, infirmities, illnesses, struggles, doubts, fears, heartaches, suffering, grief, guilt, sorrow, humiliation, mental pains, physical pains, emotional pains, physical torments, depression, failures, inequities, weakness, and inadequacies.
2. His suffering did not just end in the garden it continued onto the cross. The death and crucifixion of our Savior Jesus Christ is the second part or second-fold of his Atonement.
Where he hung and died for us. While he hung, wounded, naked, and with a thorn crown on his head for us. This is one of the most excruciating ways to die. Yet, he partook of the bitter cup. He loved the His Father and all us that he was willing to die for us, and hang on a wooden cross in Golgotha. Motivated by love and empowered by grace.
3. The third and final fold and part of his everlasting and infinite Atonement ended in his tomb where he was laid. When he overcame death and was resurrected on the third day. And he became the first fruits of them that slept. ( I Cor 15:20)
With his resurrection he overcame physical death and provided that we all may overcome death and be resurrected. (Alma 11:44) And thus completing His everlasting Atonement.
· Jesus Christ did his part by redeeming the world. But, in order be saved we must also do our part.
1. Although we are redeemed unconditionally from the universal effects of the Fall. We are accountable for our own sins.
2. D&C 19:16-17
3rd Article of Faith.. “.. BY obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel..”
Mos 4:2 We can be forgiven and cleansed from the stains of sins IF we “ apply the atoning blood of Christ.”
We must do our part and have faith and repent of our sins to be forgiven.
Jesus Christ suffered all of our sins. He knows with a perfect knowledge exactly what we are feeling and going through. Only IF we reach out him, will he be able to extend his arms of mercy unto us and give us remission of our sins, strength in times of need, and comfort in times of tribulation.
The Atonement is the supreme expressing of Heavenly Father’s love for us. And the Savior’s great expression of love for His Father and all of us.
“No other name given, nor any other means whereby salvation can come to the children of men. “ Mos 3:17
“ In the world ye shall have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
· Video: Because of Him.
Commitment: Will you study the Atonement in order to more fully understand it.
“Because of HIM” we know all things are made possible.. Amen.